What comes to mind when you hear the word “snacks?” For a lot of people, the word conjures up visions of potato chips, cookies, and snack cakes, munchies that come in a bag or box. Now, what do you think of when you hear the words “healthy snacks?” Most people think carrot sticks and apple slices, but healthy snacks can be much more. How about a cup of low-fat vanilla yogurt sprinkled with Grape-nuts or how about this fun recipe from the UCSF Medical Center’s website?
Bananas on a Stick
You will need:
- 3 bananas, peeled and cut in half widthwise
- 1/4 cup all natural peanut butter (such as Adam’s) softened
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, low-fat granola or crispy rice cereal
- 6 popsicle sticks
- Push one popsicle stick into the cut end of each banana
- Lightly spread the peanut butter onto the bananas
- Roll the banana in the nuts or cereal
- Serve immediately or wrap the bananas in waxed paper and freeze for at least 3 hours for a fun frozen treat.
Just remember, when it comes to snacks, think outside the box.