Get a competitive edge.
Shift to Person-Directed Dining and Boost Your 5-Star Rating.
A high-level deficiency for an isolated incident or several repeated low-level deficiencies can have a profound effect on ratings, referrals, business relationships and finances for up to three years.
Nursing homes may not even be able to obtain sufficient referrals or receive Medicare and Medicaid funding in the future if they do not have at least a 3-star rating. Think about these statistics:
- 39%: Nursing homes with 1-2 star ratings: Kaiser Family Foundation, “Reading The Stars: Nursing Home Quality Star Ratings, Nationally and By State. 2015”
- 0%: Number of Medicare Advantage with PD Coverage Contracts Awarded To 1-2 Star Rated Facilities: 2017 CMS Star Ratings.
With millions of Baby Boomers on the way, communities can’t just coast on “this is the way we’ve always done things” and think they are going to score high ratings.
Are you implementing these practices that lead to higher ratings?
- Put the people in your care front and center all the time and compliance with the new CMS Final Rule Requirements should naturally follow. It’s all about embracing resident choice.
- Use handouts, bulletin board postings, flyers and word of mouth to let people known that they have a choice when it comes to what matters to them when it comes to meals and snacks.
- Use forms and handouts that detail the many options available to the residents when it comes to what, when and where they eat. People want choices and now it’s mandated that they get them.
- Don’t just present options without discussing the risks and benefits of those choices. Ask people questions about what they want when it comes to meals and snacks and if any of those choices are risky, discuss approaches for making those preferences as safe as possible.
- While what they eat is the resident’s choice, make sure that choice is an informed one that has been documented every step of the way to minimize the possibility of citations and legal action.
- Monitor residents to ensure that they are satisfied with their dining care plan and remind them that they can make changes at any time they want.
Let us help you improve your ratings. Schedule a complimentary half-hour consultation with a BSN Solutions expert today.